1/2 cup of sugar
1 and 1/2 cups of self raising flour
1/3 cup of choc chips
A pinch of salt
3 large or 4 smaller bananas (very ripe)
1/2 cup of oil
1/4 cup of instant coffee
– Sift the flour, salt and sugar together then stir in the choc chips.
– Beat the egg in a bowl then break up the bananas and squish it all together with the oil.
– Use the tiniest bit of boiling water to dissolve the coffee then add that to the banana mixture and leave it to sit for half an hour. I don’t know why but after half an hour it smells as if the mixture has been spiked!
– Mix the wet and dry ingredients then pour into a lined loaf tin and bake for 60minutes at 180 degrees.
– I used coconut sugar because I was out of brown sugar. I prefer normal brown sugar.
– Coating the choc chips in the flour prevents them from sinking to the bottom of the loaf when baking.
– Leave out the coffee and choc chips for a classic banana bread. Just add in a teaspoon of vanilla essence.
– You don’t need to let the mixture sit for half an hour. I had to wait for the oven to be free which is how I discovered the weird and not unpleasant alcoholic smell.