Ah soji…the classic Indian dessert and often the highlight of a big Indian wedding. The key ingredient is semolina and let me tell you, it is delicious!
I made soji for the first time a few weeks ago and one daughter loved it but the other hated it. So I decided to have a second go but make a cake instead.
It turned out really great!
Spiced Soji Cake
- 200 grams butter/baking margarine
- 500 ml milk
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cup semolina
- 1 cup plain cake flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Add the butter, milk, cinnamon, cardamom powder and vanilla essence to a pot. Bring to the boil then remove from the heat and leave the mixture to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the oil and then the rest of the ingredients one at a time, starting with the semolina. Whisk as you go to keep the mixture lump free.
- Line a casserole dish or baking tin and pour the mixture in then smooth the surface.
- Bake for 25-30minutes at 180 degrees
- Top with dessert cream and slivered almonds.
- You could also substitute the spices for lemon or orange zest to have a citrus flavoured cake.
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram for daily Stories and updates.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Click here for more.